Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Daily Sketch - Stellar's Jay


Well it is about time I posted another sketch. This was meant to be an art and nature blog, but it has been a little lacking in the art side of things lately.

I know I went on and on in an earlier post about how much I love avocets. But love can be fickle and there are so many birds out there to love. Stellar's jays are definitely on my list. We don't get them here in town but they are in the higher elevations nearby, flitting around like flying jewels with a glossy black head and iridescent blue body. They are such characters too, with curiosity aplenty and that self-assuredness of the jay family. What's not to love?

1 comment:

Julie Zickefoose said...

That is a durn pretty jay drawing, Gabrielle!! Wow!
If I may venture a Science Chimp opinion--he needs slightly bigger, stronger feet as befits his corvid heritage.
Your technique and proportions are lovely.