Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Painting Finished

It is done...or I am done; I'm not sure which at this point! This one really was a struggle. Thanks to Marianne, Sonya, Ken and Elva for their invaluable suggestions and support through this process.

My new favorite palette earned its stripes!

Because I suspected this painting was going to take a while from the outset, I was trying to figure out how to keep my acrylics from drying out so I didn't have to mix all the colors again every time I wanted to paint. A few years ago our local grocery store was having a give-away and we received a set of sealing plastic containers. When we moved last summer I threw out most of them (they weren't very practical) but there was one shallow square one that I kept just in case. Turns out it makes a perfect small palette and it kept my paints moist throughout this whole painting, even in this incredibly dry climate.

I may take a short break from painting now. I've been feeling the urge to work in pen & ink lately, so stay tuned.


Dianne Poinski said...

Love the finished painting! Your use of the plastic containers is just another example of your creativity.

Elva Paulson said...

Well done! I think you should be proud of the end result and the fact that you stuck with it.

Your plastic container is a great idea too. While I'm using acrylics I keep a spray bottle handy (very fine mist). I spray every so often and ususally spray before boxing again. It can get pretty dry here too.

marianne said...

the struggles are good too- i always learn something! nice job and i look forward to the next adventure!

Gabrielle said...

Thanks Dianne, Elva and Marianne!

Ken Januski said...

Looks good Gabrielle. Now on to something that's a little less of a struggle.