Tuesday, September 11, 2012

WIP - Yellow-headed Blackbird

Ahh, the beginning of a painting. There's so much potential at this stage.
 
  
 
  

I'm entering a piece in a miniature show and the painting is due by the weekend so no more time to procrastinate! As usual, I'm trying to find a happy medium between my tendency to be overly detailed and my desire to be more painterly. We'll see how it goes. The painting is acrylic on a 7" x 5" canvas board.

I'm pleased with my chosen color palette, but I feel like the bird and the cattail need a little more oomph.



It always amazes me how just a few brush strokes can make such a difference. This is the point where I began to really like the cattail but felt that something wasn't right with the proportions of the bird's body.

I'm now at the awkward painting stage where one doesn't know if it's time to start all over again or if things will turn out okay in the end. I find it best to step away from the easel at this point, but I can't step away for too long. Stay tuned as I paint down to the wire. And then I still have to find a frame!

No comments: