Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kitties Need Their Greens


One of Madeleine's favorite activities is The Watering of the Spider Plants, which takes place in our household every week or so, depending on when I remember to do this. Sometimes the spider plants have to turn a yellowish-green to remind me that I have been neglecting them. Spider plants have dignity though, and unlike peace lilies, do not droop dramatically at the slightest decrease in their moisture level.

Madeleine can hear the rustling of the spider plant leaves from the other side of the apartment and she comes running (or at least as fast as she has ever been known to move) as I transfer the plants from the window sill to the kitchen sink. You'd think I was offering her a succulent baby rabbit the way she acts.

I do not allow her to macerate the plants at will, much to her frustration. But when she does get a hunk she sounds like she's eating celery or something; not a sound I'd expect to come from a cat. I have learned over the years that cats can crave strange things. Our old black & white cat used to eat cantaloupe and Madeleine likes Saltine crackers, too. Go figure.

3 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

She's got such beautiful markings! Due to our lovely four-footed family members we're no longer allowed to have inside plants.

I started an avocado plant from a seed. While we were on vacation my father-in-law placed it in the window so it could get some sun. When we returned it had no leaves . . . . .

We do give the cats celery leaves though!

Kelly said...

...she's so sweet! I love all things kitty.....

Heather said...

What a sweet girl you've got there! I can just hear that kitty-crunching-the-celery sound!