Monday, March 09, 2009

Daily Sketch - Lunchtime Quickie


Oh be-have! I meant a quick sketch. And aside from having a very abbreviated lunch break, I also forgot my pencil today so I had to do this one in pen. I actually enjoy sketching in pen - I like the challenge of not being able to erase anything. In some ways I'm freer to just draw because I have to accept what I put down on paper.

I sketched this great egret from a photograph I took in Florida a few years ago. When I took the photo, the sun was setting so the egret's white feathers appeared to have a subtle pink glow. When I look at the photograph now, I can almost feel the warmth and humidity in the air. We could use some of that warmth here at home. It was 12F when I left for work this morning, and the wind chill made it feel like -7F. Have I mentioned how ready I am for spring?

No comments: