Thursday, May 07, 2009

Canada Geese

I am starting to see this year's Canada geese chaperoning their squadrons of fuzzy yellow goslings about. Here's a little pen & ink drawing of just such a scene that I have not completed yet.

The species is not very prolific where I live, but I know that in some places they are everywhere and can be a real nuisance. These birds seem to generate a lot of debate and strong feelings in some people. I did this goose painting many years ago and was surprised by the reaction to it. I had one woman get absolutely irate over the subject matter. It seemed that somehow I had personally insulted her by choosing the bird she hated most for my painting!

1 comment:

Laure Ferlita said...

Love the pen and ink! Looking forward to the finished piece.

Two thoughts on the painting and the patron - it evokes great emotion (good or bad) which is great and it's all in the perspective. Either way, love the feathers and details in the painting.