Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Beginnings of Painting 12



I've begun to lay in the basic shading and coloring and a little bit of pattern on a western meadowlark painting based on a bird that I saw this past weekend. Western meadowlarks are one of my all time favorite birds. They have the most wonderful call that I once heard someone describe as "liquid sunrise" and that description has stuck with me. Paul and I used to camp regularly at Badlands National Park in South Dakota and the meadowlarks would wake me every morning with their beautiful song. The sun would rise over the prairie, casting its fresh golden light over everything and the wildflowers and grasses would blow gently in the breeze. I have wonderful memories of that place.

I'm not exactly sure where this painting is going. I didn't plan a real route for this one. It may end up to be more of a study than a full painting type, or who knows what will happen. We'll just have to see where this takes me.

2 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Liquid sunshine - what beautiful images come to mind!

Kelly said...

...beautiful. I love our Eastern Meadowlarks. I've heard the Western has a prettier call. Love your painting of him!