Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Painting 15 - Shell

Or perhaps a better title would have been "What Was I Thinking???". Wow. This one was a challenge! The only way I got through it was to keep promising myself I could quit painting, quit art even, if I just did one more brush stroke. I guess maybe marathon runners make similar promises to get to the finish line, I don't know. I certainly didn't get any runner's high from this project.
I have a jar full of beautiful sea shells in our bathroom; shells I have collected from years of beachcombing. This one is one of my favorites and I mistakenly thought it was a fairly simple shape to paint. However, as soon as I set it up to be my model I discovered that the angle of the shell, the rings, ridges and knobs all combined to create quite a perspective mess for the eye and brain to work out. I tried all the tricks I knew - closing one eye and holding out the edge of my pencil to check angles, drawing an axis line to help keep all those dang rings at the top stacked properly, etc., but alas the angle is still off and those top rings sort of bend back towards us rather than away. I think I could draw this thing 100 times and not get it right. But at least my admiration for the creatures that form these shells increased along with my frustration.

3 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

This is absolutely lovely! Since I can't see the shell itself, I would never have guessed at all your pains with the perspective. I say well done!

I would also suggest that you choose another shell and give it another go. Whip out your creative license and use it!

Heather said...

Even though you say you struggled with it, I like this one! I admit I can see that the perspective looks a little funny, but I still think it's a beautiful piece. I think Laure's advice about trying another shell is worth a try!

Kelly said...

I think it's lovely! It made me think of the beach and how much I miss it (made me feel warm and sunny!).